Thursday, March 02, 2006

and back in Bangkok...

Seems Bangkok was too much fun, so after a couple day stint up north in Ayuthaya (just a couple hours north by train), I'm back in Bangkok. Sam and I had some troubles getting out of here in the first place because he had to get a visa for Bangladesh and it's easier said than done (delayed departure by a couple days, but it is "almost" taken care of now). We had a good time in Ayuthaya visiting loads of temple / wat ruins, listening to a cheesy but reasonably good Thai band doing Clapton and Hendrix songs, finishing my first book (The Moscow Affair or something like that by Robert Ludlom?) and renting & cruising the town on scooters (mine only did 95 km/h, Sam's with an extra 25cc did more like 110 km/h, but his speedometer didn't work so I'm only guessing based on the blur as he flew by). Temps are still quite warm though tolerable - have been cheap lately opting for $8/night room ($4/person) without air conditioning but with good fans. The sun is hot and I contine to be a night owl whenever possible (sleep has actually been entirely avoided twice including last night, which yes, for the record, does make me more irretable).

Justin and Erin arrived in Bangkok last night from Ton Sai (the area I was going to climb at). They're both doing great and having a great time. And since I hadn't seen them since they got engaged, there was an obvious need for celebration. Today, needless to say, we all had a rather easy day with only a trip to Chinatown via the river ferry, some good Indian food in Indiatown (?) and some shopping (bought a purse, ummm... bag and new sunglasses, not because I lost the old ones but because I'm trying to support the Thai economy and as a capatilist I must lead by example. Two other friends are supposed to show up this eve (maybe they already have?) and there will obviously be need for more celebration (seems every night has a reason for celebration, hmmm...).

The plan for tomorrow is to head off to Kao Chang (an island of the southern coast) on the way to Cambodia. Sam & Erin are off trying to figure the details of this as I type. I've had a great time in Bangkok, but also time to move on. I should get a chance to spend some time here before the flight out if I so desire. Thailand is very easy to travel in and feels extremely safe - much better than Oakland! Cambodia isn't nearly as tourist friendly and probably won't be as relaxed, though bound to be rewarding in other ways.

That's about it to report right now as Sam and Erin are back (they just brought me a beer to the keyboard - what great people). Hope all is well back east, or is it west, or is it both? Wow, something to contemplate.