Sunday, August 27, 2006

small details from bed on Sunday morning

I've made an attempt to update my blog. I've been lazy when it comes to photos, but photos are worth a thousand words? Or maybe even more of my babbles? So let me know what you think.

I've also been playing with the blog template. I can't figure out why so many of the templates are narrow (there are predefined templates for blogs... check out some of my friend's blogs if you don't follow... but you can also get into the coding and make as many changes as you'd like). Largely because of the photos and how the text wraps around them, I've screwed around with the coding of several templates and made them wider, but several have images that don't stretch (or at least I haven't figured out how to stretch them) and then I thought "maybe the page won't fit onto somebody's 800x600 screen?" Now part of me thinks who cares because absolutely no one in this world still uses this resolution, but the sad reality is, my parents are going blind or something and I know they do! The older generation... So, if I do make some of these changes and make the blog wider, let me know if it causes a problem (probably easier just to buy them a bigger monitor).

I haven't packed a thing for the trip to Connecticut and I have to go buy another duffle bag (despite having 4 in Calgary/Winnipeg) since I wasn't planning on bringing mass amounts of gear on a plane (currently the backseat and trunk are functioning as duffle bags). So a trip down Mission St. is required. I've also got to figure out what to do with my car for the next month or so. Been waffling about leaving it with friends in Oakland who don't have street cleaning, but I'd like it to be there with wheels when I get back... I think I'll just expense the $175/month parking at a far airport lot (normally I'd do this without thinking, but it's a new project for me and...) and then if I stick around any longer, say in Montreal, then I'll have to pay the ongoing parking myself. Oh well.

Okay, I have no idea why I'm stressing aobut these little things since I do field work all the time (6 weeks is a bit longer than usual, but still). I think it might be the added stress of not being settled and the planning being all thrown off. But a big thanks to Gabe (and his absentee roommate) for letting me crash at his place all week long and setting up the wireless, which has made this week very nice! And even better, Gabe moved to Duncan St only a couple blocks from my old place, so it's almost like being home!

Speaking of friends, I've added links to several friend's blogs and some websites I often visit (to the right of the blog). (I "deleted" all my Favourites & Bookmarks from my web browsers a couple months ago (along with much of my hard drive), so send me your blog links again if I'm missing them!) I'm listening to streaming music off of CBC Radio 3 right now, which also happens to be my favourite podcast site too. I just realized, as I sit here blogging about my efforts in html coding and favourite podcast sites, I'm a geek!!

No comments: