Friday, February 15, 2008

And we're off!

Hi from London! After a nearly two years of wandering about North America (okay, a few trips elsewhere), I've finally made the trip to London. Yes, this is the trip for which I largely left SF in April 2006. Better late than never!

I've been here for a few days now, working in the CH2M office in Kensington (just west of Hyde Park). Quite a nice office, small, but good people. There's also a separate office for the Olympics project (I'm going for drinks with them tonight). I'm working here till next Friday (Feb 22) doing carry-over work from the Florida and North Carolina jobs. More work than I had originally planned, but on the positive side, my time here will be positive (bank account wise), which an accomplishment of sorts given how crappy the US dollar is! I've also had a very positive reception / level of interest and have had several meetings with people about various "opportunities". Nothing in stone obviously, in large part because they keep asking the question "what is it you're doing right now?". And henceforth starts the dilemmas (sorry, it's exciting so I have to tell someone!)...

There are some longer term prospects including a relocation to Dublin (specific project is looking and I'm not sure if I'm interested). There is the Olympics project, which I will find out more about tonight, but would likely be a "need you now" situation. And there is a drilling job in Bulgaria they want me for either the beginning or end of March for 3-6 weeks (would begin to cut it close with Ben's wedding in Thailand). Then there are also job prospects in Madrid and Milan that have been mentioned but I've yet to really look into. So the dilemma, do I keep travelling? Or take the work if it comes? And where do I want to live? There was a mention that the Olympics project might pay for me stay in London for 4-6 weeks, as in all expenses paid. If that offer were to firm up, I'd be an idiot to pass it up!! But don't worry friends, your couches in Scotland, Netherlands, Ethiopia and Vietnam are still very high on my priority list!! :)

Just before coming to London I was on a very fun cruise with the family followed by a couple days of debauchery in LA. I'll get a blog for these sometime soon, but here's a foreshadow...

Scene on Cruise: My brother (Jeff), my sister in law (Alison) and I are sitting in a lounge doing some sort of twisted scavenger hunt. So happens Jeff is wearing Alison's clothes (a nice short jean miniskirt dress) and Alison is wearing Jeff's clothes (don't ask). And in walks their son Max. The funny thing is, Max doesn't even blink at his father wearing a dress and just starts on with his business. Wouldn't most 16 year olds look a little different at their father for wearing a dress? Apparently Max is quite used to this behaviour. What makes it even better, Max found us by going to guest services and asked them to find out where our charge cards were last used. Hmmmm - smart kid, eh?

And from LA: http://lightling.livejournal.com/87220.html

No comments: