Friday, March 21, 2008

Working in the London

I flew from Berlin to Glasgow to catch up with Pat & Stef who were taking a weekend vacation in Edinburgh. P&S once again were gracious enough to put me up for a couple nights not to mention bring my luggage from Aberdeen (they did get some babysitting out of the deal, which involved no effort since Chloe never woke up once). I was travelling Poland/Germany with just a small day pack, which is most certainly the way to travel. I finished writing the the last bit of the Berlin blog on the train from Edinburgh to London on Monday (which had wireless!) and then Tuesday....

I'm finally in London working! Was what I first talked about in when I left San Fran in April 2006! More specifically, I'm in the Canary Wharf office working on the 2012 Olympics for the next month or so (until Vietnam/Thailand). Which isn't really a CH2M office - it is, but isn't - more of a project office dedicated to the one project. Kind of different lifestyle as the office is right in the center of the financial district (21st floor of the Barclay Building) and I'm taking a ferry each morning from the Hilton Docklands. Let's just say I'm going shopping this weekend to buy some nice close to fit in a bit better!! And I'm also checking out of the Hilton for a slightly more reasonable hotel (only a mere £120/night) and, more importantly, a funner neighbourhood (Old Street). It has been quite a shock from the stay in London a month ago - a £14 4-bed hostel room to a £200 hotel.

There have been numerous phone calls and emails over the last few weeks about my future in London (post Thailand). Nothing confirmed, but looking like the Olympics project may try to keep me part time and the work in Ireland wants me for ~3 months (based out of the main CH2M London office). And the client for the Dublin work also needs support for sites in the Netherlands & France. All this looks like lots of travel, but doesn't look to be too settled. So choices are looking like:

A. Forget about work and travel (Ethiopia & Tanzania are still quite interesting)

B. Support projects in a few countries for up to a few months at a time, get to travel, but don't really get to settle in a have a normal life.

C. Settle down in London, get a flat, but then have all the London expenses that somewhat limit travel.

I'll have some decisions to make and no doubt some will get made for me. And in order to get this all settled, they want me to attend a quarterly client meeting on April 29-30 (apparently the Ireland client really likes local staff and will have to be won over by Canadian charm). But this is just a few days before Ben's wedding and they are unwilling to hold the meeting in Bangkok - how unreasonable! Everyone seems eager to get me on board, so hopefully my absence at the meeting isn't a fatal blow.

And a really funny one... I spoke some words of French with the PM of the Ireland work (who happens to be French and lives in Marseilles) and next thing I know I'm getting a request to do a senior review of a report in French. Ummm... big difference between being able to order a meal or navigate the metro and do a senior review of a technical report! I could have brutalized it after a few beers (my French vastly improves after a few beer!), but not understanding the subtly of one word can greatly change the meaning of a sentence and.... I spoke French with Chloe my entire time in Aberdeen (granted she's 2 1/2 years old), but my experience there makes me think that a few weeks in France talking French (maybe taking a class) would do a world of good. Hmmm... maybe that should be Choice D above?

No comments: